Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Tables Turning

Last night, my drive home was white knuckle. I made it all the way home and then couldn't get into my driveway. I slid back toward the fire hydrant across the street, put it into park and did not budge. I threw it in reverse and skidded to a stop due to the curb in front of my house. Aaaaand that's where the damn thing stayed. Ripe for the T-boning by half-assed drivers slipping through the stop sign on our corner.

During the night, a few people drove up and over the curbs, and even narrowly missing a street sign, but our car remained unscathed.

Now on to more renal issues.

Mom-in-law saw the fellas this morning and Shark was up moving around. And Mark was of course still stoned and on diphenhydramine to fight off the opiate itches. If you tell him to stop scratching, the urge to itch gets worse. Fun!

I came in at 1:30 this afternoon. Mark is watching stupid TV shows, wearing his glasses and chilling out in his private room. All fluid challenges on the kidney are done and he is probably got an extra 7L of fluid in his system, which is a typical post renal transplant target. His pee isn't the alarming blood red it was yesterday and is quickly approaching a normal tint.

Mark is having some fun mini-hallucinations. He saw a wooden tiki figure on the back of Shark's hospital gown. Then while reading some medical literature, he saw the the hospital insignia move around the page. More fun!

Shark is having a terrible day in comparison. It's as though the both of them have traded conditions over night. Shark is horribly nauseated (puking with an incision is one of top 5 things you don't want to ever do) and hurting all over. I told him yesterday he should have taken advantage of the morphine pump while he still had it. Percocet and Mr. Darling do not mix. He looks about 6 months pregnant. The nurse doing her hard-ass duty informed me that he needs to keep sitting up and moving to get those gases out of his abdomen. It's the only way. The anti-nausea meds are useless.


Shark is not a happy camper.


:-(

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear that Shark is is so much pain. I hope that he is also taking stool softeners, because after puking, pooping has got to be #2 on the "don't want to do with an incision" list. All the best to you guys! - Amy H

GinaBee said...

Poor Shark--it sucks when the best thing to do for your body is the last thing you actually want to do!

I'm glad Mr. B is a bit better. The itching was INSANE both times I had it--but hey, it gave me something to do while I sat there ;-).

Hopefully both Shark & Mark will improve by tomorrow....

Anonymous said...

The boys are still in our prayers, Mon. Please pass our best on to them. Let us know if/when visitors are OK and we'll stop by.