Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Pain Managment & Fluid Challenge

Brave Shark is up and reading in his room. He was cracking them up in recovery!!! I'm so incredibly grateful that he seems to be in very little pain. Thus far, he says he feels overfull like he had some really really bad Chinese and washed it down with a gallon of chili. The stinker has only used 1.4mg of morphine. (I wish he'd share the rest with me so I can get some sleep.) I suspect when they make him sit up more, he'll be feeling it. But for now, so far, so great.

OTOH, Mark's ride back up to his room after 2.5 hours in recovery was agonizing. And he was in a lot of pain around his incision. Morphine didn't touch it and so they ordered him some Dilaudid. At 5PM he's a little more comfortable.

Would you believe he's already put out somewhere between 3-5L of urine? In an effort to fluid challenge his new kidney, they are pumping in over 1300mL/hr. of fluids. So far, so good.

I'd be driving home, but it's rush hour and...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pee Baby Pee! I am so glad to hear that everyone is doing pretty good. Hopefully they can give Mark something to help. All the best to you guys... - AmyH

Alyssa said...

Hopefully, Shark will continue to not have pain but when more the anesthesia wears off and they sit him up, I have a feeling it's going to hurt more.

Sorry to hear Mark is in so much pain but glad that he's resting more comfortable now on the stronger pain meds. Sounds like that kidney is working really well already. Woo-hoo!

Jewely said...

As if I wasn't praying for your sanity already, now I am praying extra hard for your safe trip home. It was treacherous here and we don't even have the freezing (yet, I'm afraid.) Take care, my dear friend.

GinaBee said...

You are prolly right about Shark--I felt great after my C-sections...at first. If he overdoes it he'll know! Too funny about him cracking up the medical staff!

I saw your FB status so I'm glad to hear Mark is feeling better...praying for an easy night for all of you....

Magikjaz said...

thank the gods!

all my love!!!