Thursday, January 8, 2009

Sorry About the Lack of Updates Update

Hey, healing and recovering have been a time consuming task.

Mark looks and feels years younger. His eyes are bright, his appetite is amazing, and his mood is terrific. Sorta sounds like I'm describing an Irish Setter trying a new dog food, huh?

We are 2.5 weeks out of surgery. Things are moving along exactly as planned.

I, however, am trying to eek out more strength and stamina. It's been a mighty rough year here, and I must admit that I'm not at my peak right now. It seems the more Mark gets his strength back, the more I can finally let go of some of the stress and emotion. I wouldn't have dared to cry or be weak while we were in the middle of the health concerns. Lord knows, once you let it rip, it's hard to stop. I really didn't have the time to feel sorry for any of us, frankly.

Mark's incision is nearly closed. I haven't counted the staples, but I'd wager a guess at 25 stainless steel staples holding it together. Since wounds typically heal from the inside out, I think it's coming along nicely. One of the medicines Mark takes to fight of rejection also has the side effect off slowing the healing process. Regardless, he's knitting together.

Things around here have returned to a more manageable routine as the kids are back in school, faith formation classes, and music lessons this week. Kids need routines. It keeps their anxiety down. Once daddy returns to work, the kids will feel all is well. But they are doing well anyway. They are smart boys and are generally very open with us about this whole process from kidney failure to dialysis to transplant. In the duration, I hope they're learning good things from us.

Anyway, that's a quick update. I'll note any news here when we get it.

Everyone's prayers, and letters, and Christmas cards meant the world to us. I know they give Mark strength and a sense of peace. It's always good to know people are thinking about you.

XOXO

1 comment:

KimK said...

Good, good, and good! It's got to be exhausting being the sole pillar. Soon you won't have to be. xoxo back